Shop Instagram Icons

How To Create Rose Gold Text

If you’re as much of a rose gold lover as I am, you’ve probably wondered at some point how to create rose gold text or how to create a rose gold font. It’s actually a lot easier than you may think!

I have a tutorial which shows you exactly how to add a rose gold (or any other metallic) effect to your text, fonts, graphics, icons, buttons and more. All you need is Photoshop and a metallic texture.

how to create rose gold text photoshop

Today I’ll be using the Rose Gold texture from my Pretty Textures Kit! This kit has 70 large JPG texture images for all your commercial and personal design needs. The pack includes a mix of rose gold, marble, glitter, silver, gold and foil and it’s super affordable!

HOW TO CREATE ROSE GOLD TEXT

1. Create a new Photoshop document

Open up Photoshop and go to File > New > Blank File. Set it to the size you want (try 500px by 500px) and give it a white or transparent background.

2. Type your text

Select the Type tool, choose your font, choose the colour black, and click anywhere on your new document. Type out whatever word/s you like.

3. Add your metallic texture

Open your metallic texture image as a new document. Using the select tool, select a section of the texture image (or the whole thing), copy and paste it as a new layer on top of the text layer you’ve just created. In the Layers section, right click on Layer 1 (the metallic) and select “Create Clipping Mask”. Your text will turn metallic.

4. Resize the texture

If you’ve used a large texture image, you may want to make it smaller so it looks better on top of the text. Simply click one of the corners of your texture image and drag it inwards until you’re happy with it (you may need to keep re-positioning it back on top of the text).

5. Final steps

In the top menu go to Layer > Flatten Image. Crop it, save it and you’re done!

If you want to add a metallic texture to a shape, simply create a shape with the Shape tool and follow on from step 3.

I’d love to know if you try it out, let me know how you go in the comments! And if you’re looking for a collection of textures to have ready for you on your computer, available to use for personal projects or products you create to sell, check out the Pretty Textures Kit.

Comments

1. Harriet says

I have been looking for tips how to create gold text and today finally found it here in your blog post.So happy! Thank you so much!

• Vanessa Gollasch says

Yes definitely 🙂 You could load your drawing into Photoshop and select which part you want to add texture to. Copy and paste that selection as a new layer, paste the texture above that layer then do the clipping mask. If your drawing is too hard to select, you can go to Filter > Filter Gallery > Artistic and use the ‘Cutout’ filter, which will make it an easier object to select.

2. Beth Riegger says

Thanks for the great tutorial!

I”m not sure I’m happy with how mine turned out! What types of fonts do you recommend using to get the best look?

Thanks 🙂

Beth

3. baklawa says

We cherished this post! We read your blog fairely regularly
    and you’re continually turning out with some incredible stuff.
    I distributed this on my fb and my adherents cherished it keep doing
    awesome.

4. Katrina says

Hi Vanessa! I always love your posts, so beautiful and so helpful! I wanted to add this rose gold effect to the stroke of some shapes, but can’t figure out how to achieve this in photoshop. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

• Vanessa Gollasch says

Hi Katrina, thank you! You could do another shape over the top that has no fill and the same size stroke as the shape you want to add it to, so then you can clipping mask the texture to that new shape on top.

5. Kristal says

Hello vanessa, where did you get your metallic texture? can we have a link pls? been trying to get the same texture on google but I get all are watermarked. Thanks alot! You are so creatively talented!

• Vanessa Gollasch says

Hi Florentina, feel free to email me a screenshot of your workspace and layers panel and I’ll be able to figure out where you’re going wrong 🙂

6. Bri says

Thanks so much! This is super helpful especially when it comes to re-designing my entire photography website and branding for myself!

7. Samantha says

Good Morning! I got it to work thank you for the tutorial!! Is there a way to make the background transparent instead of white? I’m not typing words but am using a JPEG of my logo. I’d like to use it on my website over images. Thanks in advance!! 🙂

• Vanessa says

Yes, double click on the Background layer to unlock it, then delete that layer. When you save the image, save it as a PNG and when a little box pops up asking if you want it to be ‘interlaced’ check yes 🙂

• Jan says

Hi Vanessa! I still experienced the same problem as Samantha and also did what you said according to your reply to her, but my background still became white after I flatten the image.. can you please tell me what can I do to fix the background to transparent?

• Vanessa says

Hi Jan, If you want to have a transparent background, don’t flatten the image. Just go straight to saving the image while the background layer is switched off.

8. Jenna says

Hi there, I’ve bought and m in love with the Floriana bundle!! Totally in love! I just wanted to ask if there is a way to get the same effect with the ‘create clipping mask’ tool in Photoshop in InDesign?

• Vanessa says

Hi, I’m glad you like it! Thank you 🙂 I don’t think there is the same tool in InDesign unfortunately.

9. Carol says

Hi Vanessa, can you please tell me what font you used for the text? (“rose gold”) Thank you 🙂

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Catherine

5.0
2018-02-10T10:17:09+10:00
I totally have the lovely Vanessa to thank for adding heaps of her creative magic to my site, I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy with how my blog has looked! She was so professional and friendly, understood my style perfectly and made sure I had lots of gorgeous options to choose from when adding creative touches.

Freya

5.0
2018-09-03T10:49:22+10:00
My new site is exactly what I’ve envisioned and I totally have the lovely and talented Vanessa from blog pixie to thank for being so professional, understanding my style and vision, taking care of all the bits I would have been clueless about, sprinkling heaps of creative magic and girly details, she made sure I had lots of gorgeous options to choose from and was helpful throughout the process.

Aletta

5.0
2017-09-07T08:47:01+10:00
Vanessa is so kind and her content is truly amazing! Blog Pixie has helped me (and my blog) to no end.

Maddie

5.0
2016-05-03T18:24:44+10:00
I love the Blog Pretty eBook! Savoured it over three days and can't wait to put everything into action :) Would highly recommend!

Ashley

5.0
2017-06-07T06:07:03+10:00

Ashley

Blog Pretty is a must-read if you're new or wanting to pick up some new tricks in the blogosphere. It has motivated and helped me so much with my blog since reading. Love!